I’ve got the toy chest all assembled and am finalizing the details.
I first assembled the front frame and panel and then glued on the curved K parts. I only glued the curved parts into the middle third or so of the panel, allowing the rest of the panel to float behind the K. I did put some slotted screws out in that area so the curve would stay attached to the panel throughout.
With the front assembled, I went ahead and did the back and sides, simple frame and panel assembly with the domino joints.
The front needed some Best quality work, including the small serif details on the outer edges of the K, some glue blocks and other odds and ends. All those went on easily and now need to be finished to match the rest of the case.
All the frame and panel parts have already been pre-finished on the outside. The process was 3-4 coats of diluted boiled linseed oil, followed by a couple coats of shellac (brushed), followed by one coat of shellac rubbed on. I then rubbed-out finish with steel wool and will finally followup with some wax.