I first want to create the curved K and the entire front of the chest, as I will then use that as the final dimensions for the rest of the case.
I had my piece picked out for the curved legs of the K to re-saw and book-match. I laid the template, printed over 5 pieces of paper from Google Sketchup, over the piece and chalked the outline. A rough-cut oversize on the bandsaw and joint + edge, ready to re-saw. My re-saw didn’t go that well, which doesn’t matter because I have plenty of material to work with. The real problem was exposing too much sap wood in the middle of the board, which really didn’t look good.
So, I decided to re-saw just the front half to avoid all sap wood. I first cut the curved legs of the K more exactly on the bandsaw and spindle sander. Then I performed the re-saw on the tablesaw: each piece is about 1/4″ thick. I was able to avoid all sap wood and it looks great.
Now that I’m dealing with a little bit thinner pieces for the curved section, I want more support at the stile (leg) of the K. So rather than just butt them agains the leg, I inset them slightly. I cut out a corner of the stile about 1/4″ deep to provide that support.
So – the front K is all done: the straight leg (stile) and curved sections (1/4″ thick). On to the rest of the frame and panel to finish the front.