I first want to create the whole front panel, including the rails, stiles, panel and curved K parts – so then I can take measurements for the final width and height of the toy chest.
As I got started on the frame and panel parts for the front, I got a little side tracked creating all five panels for the chest. It took 3 boards of cherry for them all. I ripped each ~6in piece in half, jointed+edged, and re-sawed those in half – to end up with 4 pieces of 3/8″ wood per chunk of cherry. I then glued those all back together either book-matched or slipped-matched, depending on what looked the best. I clamped downwards first to keep all the parts in the same plane, and then across the glue line.
With all the panels oversized, I started cutting out the frame parts from the walnut board. I roughed them all out, jointed+edged and cut on the table-saw oversized. I then finalized the front rails and stiles.
For this project, I’ve decided to use the Festool Domino for the joinery. A huge shout-out to my buddy Dyami for lending me his Domino. It makes a traditional joint (two mortises and a loose tenon), but in a really fast way. All the parts are cut exactly to size and then zip-zip, two mortises and a festool-supplied loose tenon finishes the joint.
With the front rails, stiles and joinery complete – the dry assembly gives me the final dimensions (height and width) for the chest.
After finalizing the rest of the sides and back, a dry assembly of the whole chest gives me the dimensions for the top and I can cut those pieces. Everything is now all cut, final dimensioned and joinery cut.
I’ve also started work on some details for the chest. More to come on those. For now, I suggest to head over to this blog, where you will find plenty of interested and fun post which not only you but your whole family will enjoy.